SusanBurtoncame to This American Life as a producer in 1999 and rejoined the show in 2016. Amy Paige Condon wrote her first short story as a first grader in Mrs. Henry's class at Lee Britain Elementary in Irving, Texas, and won a poster in the class contest. Had there been an accident? She also occasionally works on stories for the radio show. During the course of our conversation, my dad mustve got up to offer coffee refills about 175 times. Then we all sat down at the table in the middle of my parents kitchen to eat pie and talk about the most painful memory in my parents lives. In the near decade since, she produced stories for WNYCsRadiolab, then NPRsPlanet Money, and finally Gimlet MediasReply All, where she worked as the shows supervising producer. She's also worked at Science Vs from Gimlet Media. Diane started at the show as a fellow in 2017. The two of them worked for a few months to come up with a name until Condon landed on Heavyweight. But they werent ready to commit to either this baby or each other. Goldstein was married to Pat's sister, Emily Condon, who ran the Oak Street Cinema in Minneapolis before moving to New York to work for Ira Glass and This American Life. Former St. Paul resident Emily Condon is the production manager of "Serial," which re-examines the 1999 murder case of a Baltimore teen. How would a Marsh kid turn out in an environment without other Marshes around? Privacy Policy | Terms of Service, 2014 - 2023 Serial Productions, a New York Times Company, Melody Newcomb, Adam Maida, Darius Steward, Martinez E-B, Moth Studio, Jess X. And again I demurred, this time because I kind of felt protective of her last answer. Thats when Glass realized he could send Goldstein anywhere and he would come back with a good story. Looking at a photo I took of my dads handgun next to the raspberry pie, I joked to Goldstein, Chekhovs pie (a call-out to the dramatic principle that a gun introduced in the first act must go off by the end). But theres another possible version that, years later, seems like a more likely rendering of what happened: My mother , sensing no marriage proposal would be forthcoming, set a course and followed italone. { customEventsOnLoad(); page. Then I asked if he still thought about her. Producer Kalila Holt and host Jonathan Goldstein in his new Heavyweight studio, in Longfellow. She also works as a freelance stage manager for various theater companies around NYC. I was referring to Mr. Cook, who has revealed elsewhere on this site his love for Ms. Rand. And throughout that fraught decision, my mom and dad kept their secret. Goldstein and Condon hit it off, and nearly two years later they decided to get married. Read More. What kind of food goes with meeting a secret sister for the first time? Before that, she covered education at NBC News and was a photo editor at National Geographic. Each of the couples continue to live in wedded bliss today. We're funded by your subscriptions, your donations, advertising, and a generous grant from the Wyncote Foundation. Hes not the best at admitting his mistakes. } Before joining Serial, she was a senior staff editor at The New York Times. Almost four seasons in, Goldstein has realized there is a rhythm to reporting these things. Producer Bim is a journalist and playwright who has written for BuzzFeed News, the Guardian, Vogue and many other titles. And although Milton Bradley was hocking this occult board game during Saturday morning cartoons, our mom imposed a strict Ouija-board ban throughout my childhood. She's written for The New York Times Magazine and other publications. Steve, do you have anything you want to thank Jonathan for? She would be calling from New York, but she booked time for me in a studio at WCCO, in downtown Minneapolis. Its a little easier when its people Jonathan already knows.. It was Goldstein who came up with the idea of investigating his own familys big mystery: why his dad and his uncle hadnt spoken in decades. It's funnynot funny ha ha; more like ha ha, that was a miraclethat when I finally asked somebody for help, I stumbled on the perfect guy. And I kept it secret for so long. For much of his career prior to that, he worked nationally and internationally as a theatrical sound designer. When not doing audio things, she loves riding her bike. When my mom told us that she didnt have the up-to-date paperwork, I called Catholic Charities and discovered that they no longer had the resources to service their own adoption records. If I listen with my dad, will he switch off the podcast, like I always switch off Rush on the way up to the gun club? For Follow This on Netflix, she reported on Amish romance novels, Black survivalists, and modest fashion. If either one were a possibility, I wanted Natalie to be there. We sat in silence for a quarter of an hour. They decided the best course for everybody would be adoption. He also reported and produced stories as an intern at NPR member stations WBEZ and WOSU. I just think theres something about Jonathan. The story we heard now was an unknown and revelatory prequel. This American Life funded the bulk of Season One, but for Serial to continue, it needs to pay for itself. This is what he does for a living, and I cant think of a better place to apply those skills than at a wedding.. What if the little girl she gave up for adoption was hurt or crazy or angry or dead? I dont know if theres anything else like it.. He has a Ph.D. in particle physics. At 44, hes not married himself but finds special joy in uniting couples in matrimony, channeling his writing abilities into leading wedding ceremonies that are uniquely personal and funny. She had been drinking with our cousins and our Aunt Cindy around a bonfire, singing songs and telling stories. Your mom had four kids.. She also cohosts a podcast calledThirst Aid Kit. S-Town Podcast John despises his Alabama town and decides to do something about it. Once we stepped inside and introductions were made, Goldstein started to unpack what appeared to be a bottomless Mary Poppins bag full of radio equipment. For Follow This on Netflix, she reported on Amish romance novels, Black survivalists, and modest fashion. She also cohosts a podcast called Thirst Aid Kit. Cole is hoping his ordination in the Universal Life Church passes muster in the Great White North. CellCarta, +2 more Concordia University, +1 more Emily Condon . She also thinks that school was cancelled the next two days. When you give your child up for adoption, when you have to ask the world for help, theres a chance that request will be returned with love. Cole has married a total of seven couples with connections to WBUR, including Mitch Wertlieb, who worked at the station before signing on at Vermont Public Radio as anchor of Morning Edition. The whip-smart beauty in this 2014 wedding was Kara Oehler, whom Cole met in 2002 when they were on a panel together at the Third Coast International Audio Festival. This negotiation about access with my new sister felt stressful. But I was alarmed to see instead an entire screenful of missed calls from my sister. David came to This American Life from NPR where he was a reporter for 18 years covering science and eventually economics with the Planet Money team. It keeps you on your toes. I called the Lutherans and asked them to send my mom a new packet. Two years later, at another wedding weekend, in New York, I ran into Goldstein again. He was very studious about it, said Condon. Cole had worked with Goldstein on CBC Radios Wiretap, a show in which he played or improvised fictitious characters. I have always enjoyed watching live court and reading what is happening illegally in pop culture. If y-y-y-you knew we h-h-h-had a s-s-s-secret brother, w-w-w-would you tell me?. Nadia Reiman has been making radio since 2005, when she started covering Capitol Hill with a minidisc recorder and no journalism experience for a small Spanish-language politics show. I wasnt frustrated with my mom. But my mother was alone when the nuns took Leisha away. Natalie explained that shed known she was adopted from the beginning, and loved the idea of being chosen by her parents. One courthouse, week by week. The authors parents take the top down on a 70s road trip. The perfect place for law nerds:) AMCaulder , 02/28/2023. Thats because the cell records from Adnans phone that day were used to corroborate Jays story about what happened. Previously, she worked as an online producer and editor at National Geographic and The New York Times. 2,000 episodes. Ben Calhoun is a producer at This American Life, producing and reporting a number of award-winning stories, including the Harper High School" episodes, for which he won a Peabody Award. Shame compelled her to quit her office job at the Star Tribune. THAT Ayn Rand? That would be her. She would be nearly 50 years old now. Special thanks to Whitney Dangerfield, Starlee Kine, Ben Phelan, Seth Lind, Lyra Smith, Matt Tierney, Emily Condon, Elise Bergerson, Julie Whitaker, Kimberly Henderson, Tracey Chan and Khoi. Podcast Show more Blog Or, more excitingly, that these graphs were code for some top-secret information too dangerous for him to send in a letter. Miller & Condon on KXnO on Apple Podcasts. Shes been with This American Life since 2009. Shes appeared on This American Life, A Prairie Home Companion, The Moth Radio Hour, BBC Radio 4, All Things Considered, WTF with Marc Maron, and Studio 360, among other shows. The detectives interviewed him on April 20,about seven weeks after Adnan had been arrested. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/05/fashion/05marry.html. In addition to credits in magazine and book publishing, he has worked as a researcher and fact-checker for This American Life, S-Town, and Serial. But then, a month later, he had another idea. Production Manager | Producer + Add or change photo on IMDbPro Contribute to IMDb. Not for one extraordinary case; instead, Serial wanted to tackle the whole criminal justice system. But I also dont think we ever would have found Natalie without an investigation. She's also written for the New Yorker and The New York Times. I know because I performed my sisters ceremony, and she performed mine. His Minnesotan wife, Emily Condon (a former managing director on This American Life and Serial), came up with the title for his podcast, Heavyweight. And if theres one document in this investigation thats become our bible as we muddle through this case, its this one. The senior producer is Kalila Holt.Special thanks to Emily Condon, Alex Blumberg, Sharon Mashihi, Mimi O'Donnell, Jessica Yung, and Jackie Cohen.The show was mixed by Bobby Lord.