It took 29 years for someone to break this raw bench record mark, set by a man that looked like a clerk at Home Depot. IPF Hall of Fame Inductees | International Powerlifting Federation Wiki I unhooked it and stood up. One should not blame the IPF as they did not have any influence or a stake in this meet. if i were running the damned thing, i'd be double checking EVERYTHING. Log in or register to post comments By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. This page was generated at 11:54 PM. Sam is a world record holder in the 275lb class with a lift of 639lb in the bench press. GIVE ME A BREAK. In 1983, the IPF began to test athletes for performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs). Tell the lifters the truth and say sorry, we have a problem and cant do world records. But those accepting the pay of the sponsorship fees do not have to suffer with the bars, merely to take the money and thus approve themjust like at times platforms/stages at ipf worlds have sagged under the larger squatters, only to be considered "acceptable". I think it'd be more like shooting the jockey because he was wearing the wrong silks lol! Come on, guys.Mike LIFTED the f***ing weight! I can honestly say 848 would have gone up. If possible, structure your training as follows: Mon - Bench day Weds -Deadlift day Fri - Squat day Day 1 (Monday) Bench day: That makes Booker about 62 percent stronger than Schwarzenegger was in his prime. $29.95 each. this meet director, the ipf (USAPL) refs who inspected the platform and weights, and the USAPL EC members present, tech sec, all of these should be held directly responsible for what was discovered thursday and they did not work to correct. When we talk about how PEDs improve performance in sports e.g. I met him in my first power meet in the summer of 1966just prior to being drafted into the United States Army 50 years ago. Lee not only squatted 1003, but he has bench presses 617.4 to give him the highest subtotal in history of power lifting. I doubt it, that's wishful thinking and USAPL is at fault. I really hope the IPF overlooks this and lets the record stand. I also know you were never cocky or arrogant, but totally confident and fun when I was around you. wouldnt u think for a comp that big, that everything would be above board, regardless of what you think the rules should be? way to go!!! Mike was the superlative powerlifter. ERNIE FRANTZ A pioneer in the sport, Frantz squatted 821 at age 64. The bar we used was 45lbs plus the collars. Power bodybuilding requires you to re-learn technique and reach new movement standards. MIKE BRIDGES As a 50-year-old, set records in the squat and bench press. So, after the 1983 IPF event, he and others formed the American Drug-Free Powerlifting Federation. Joe came alive within months with some lifting that is still admired today. I wore my ProKinetics Insoles to my first competition at the 2009 Pan American Games and I beat my previous world record in squat by 87 pounds. I trained Mac for a year. Just lift it! Ed Baueuscroft of California. What happened? The meet director did the best he could given the circumstances and the pass given with the equipment presented for inspection. At meets a certain aura surrounded you.Larry: My first rival was Joe Weinstein. Lou: I recall soon after getting home from the army in 1970 you set a national total record on the same dayas Joe Weinstein at 1675 at198. [quote=Anonymous] well yeah they were legal when they kept the sponsorship fee up. 123-pound squat data was a dwarf and indeed hoisted 639 pounds. Assistance work may have consisted of a few sets of curls and little more yet in the opinion of many, me included, Mike can be crowned as one of the top few lifters of all time. I flew back to Louisville every other week for two months. The store will not work correctly in the case when cookies are disabled. way to go!!! Dan is a poor bencher when it comes to fellows his weight, but he more than makes up for it in other two lifts. I recall weighing less after a meet back in those days. The bar we used was 45lbs plus the collars. I like my ProKinetics and I recommend you try them! [/quote] A 220 pounds, Joe squatted 837lb. What Powerlifting Tells Us About The Effects Of PEDs. It is sad and pathetic that people have to jump on board and bash someone who has busted their butt to pull off one of the best meets. Jim. Well most know he won nine straight before making. Some powerlifting meets drug test, and some dont. My boyfriend was in the area on Thursday afternoon when several referees told the Technical Sec that something was wrong with the bar and they were told it was OK, it was an old Ivenko Bar. Ted did 705lb., a record! It was a national meet. The power lifts are the bench press, squat and dead lift. So, as a powerlifter, if you stay in the same weight class but you lose 10 pounds of fat and gain 10 pounds of muscle, you can be tremendously stronger, because fat doesnt help you lift weight. Mike Bridges' DVD series. For example, at a drug-tested meet in 2002, Mike Booker squatted 551 pounds but weighed just 132 pounds. No one should have to put up with this BS. Whats more, nearly every powerlifter who competed at the U.S. competition and went on to the IPF event saw a significant drop.2. Mike Gansey's . the lousy knurling on ivanko bars is now a serious problem and despite their paying of the fee, ipf should seriously consider kicking those bars out UNLESS they can be corrected to have more sufficient knurling. [/quote] I envied Larry for having such good training partners and a coach like Bob Matz. Jons training lifts around 2300lb! 1980 IPF Mens World Powerlifting Championships I've also, place 2nd once, and 3rd twice in the 'open' class since age 47 in World Championships. When you squat 800 pounds, every joint in your body needs to be optimally aligned. Now all the anonymous guys can come on here and bash the IPF for requiring approved equipment for records. Squat: 260kg/573.2lb(WR) 1983 Mens Senior Nationals One official got yelled at for asking about the bar while my boyfriend was checking his rack height later on thursday. how long did u have the bar before you opened it? the fault is with USAPL and its referees (IPF ones) and its meet director, who should have KNOWN better than to hold a MEN's NATIONALS and that women's record breaker event WITHOUT THE PROPER BARS. 1986 1st World Powerlifting Championship Mike Bridges (1982) WORLD RECORD (181 lbs / 82.5 kg) POWERLIFTING TOTAL We had a five-hour layover. Squat: 365kg/804.69lb that is bullshit. I never saw such a lifting machine. I hope this does not come true. The world is blessed with FED ex overnight, next MORNING. Kyrsten Sinema's Odds Of Reelection Don't Look Great. Steroids split us into two federations. Over time, more groups broke off from both the USPF and drug-free federation, splintering the sport further. Did champion power lifter Mike Bridges ever use anabolic - Quora [/quote] The numbers from these competitions arent perfect; for example, the IPF just started hosting a raw championship,6 so there are only three years of comparable data. if indeed he's been robbed before, then he's pretty tough for sticking in there and coming back. Best Lifts: Mike Bridges (Birth date: february 1, 1957). Deadlift: 320kg/705.48lb, Lee Moran (Birth date: may 17, 1955 Died july 15, 1999). Deadlift: 372.5kg/821lb. Squat: 405kg/892.87lb in the NFL, Major League Baseball and the Olympics what were really talking about is how the drugs make an athletes muscles more efficient in terms of strength and recovery. [quote=An IPF member]I have a Texas Power Bar and it weighs 20kg. Bench: 260kg/573.2lb The fact that Teds total may have been low does not depreciate the astronomical effort he has left us with. I've never really changed anything. There was also another little boy who came in from Tennessee. Just before it touched, my left pec began to tear. A 13 year old Ed saw Bill Kazmaier powerlift on television and he was instantly hooked. he did this for 10 years and kept progressing but he's unreal. Orders shipped out within 1 - 5 business days. This will be different for different people as we are all genetically different as to how we age. If this is your first visit, be sure to Oh yeah, no squat suit until about 1976, and no disrespect, but the squat suits were not much. also what do you guys think about this every monday he would max out on bench/squat and max out on deads every wednesday. Ivanko pays them a lisence fee to approve their stuff and Texas Power Bar doesn't! Show me where the IPF as said anything? I envied Larry for having such good training partners and a coach like Bob Matz. But just how much horsepower and torque do athletes gain? To this day 37 years later, I don't know why I tried to bail out from that bar. to the meet director - sorry this sounded so strong. HOWEVER, if you're the meet director and you're running an IPF qualifier with potential world records, YOU are responsible for making sure the bar is good. so yes, some records were set with tpb. 1984Mens USPF Senior Nationals: I find that while the weight I lift is less, the intensity is still high and with decent results but I stay sore longer. the lousy knurling on ivanko bars is now a serious problem and despite their paying of the fee, ipf should seriously consider kicking those bars out UNLESS they can be corrected to have more sufficient knurling. #1 mike bridges training style 05-07-2008, 02:14 AM ive read about mike bridges and his records. I guess he got too much publicity and I wanted to crush him. In the meantime, Dan has squatted 960lb and has made valid attempts to be the first with 900 in the deadlift. Copyright 2023 elitefts. My friend Arnold Coleman broke Mike's and Gene Bell's total record at the 2005 Arnold Classic. Just lift it! BUT, as a lifter at the meet who is not capable of setting world records, I was very happy when I learned that we would be using a Texas Power Bar. Deadlift: 320kg/705.48lb. JOHN INZER An elite lifter, Inzer invented the bench shirtsupportive equipment that allowed for bigger lifts. The manufacture send Bench bars with the middle knurling missing and no one in the area had the right bars! I saw the Gestapo in action first hand at the Master's Nationals and again today at a local meet. Fred is the total squatter, his squats range from 918lb thorugh 100b. 2023 ABC News Internet Ventures. Mike's. I hope this does not come true. they cut it fine by sending it to you thast close to a meet. My first personal observation of Mike was at the Heart Of America Powerlifting Contest, an annual event hosted by St. Louis gym owner and bodybuilder George Turner. While they were undoubtedly unbeatable, they were untested for the most part. If they can't get the bars right, I just wonder how the Arnold is going to turn out. No one ever say a word to him no matter what.The Conversation. "Bars dont grow on trees, what would you have done in this situation??" Bridges weighed just 173 pounds, but at the 1983 U.S. Powerlifting Federations (USPF) national championships, he bench pressed, squatted and dead lifted1 a combined 2,011 pounds. Best Lifts: wouldnt u think for a comp that big, that everything would be above board, regardless of what you think the rules should be? How about a man who can squat 892.9lb; bench press around 580lb and deadlift in the 800s. I got a shot under my left armpit and I didn't feel anything for three days in that arm (it's called an arm block). powerlifting workout - NECKBERG Wow. Thats huge, because more muscle gives these athletes more power to perform with. And your team Power Elite with your lifters including Topsogov Studer.Larry: We had a great team back then and I will always look back to the early days without so much politics. What really happened that day that allowed Mark Dimiduk to win the 1980 SR nationals and that would select the 1980 world team members.Larry: On a second attempt deadlift I wanted a 5 kg jump. Bridges' squat of 711 pounds, bench of 512 pounds, and total of 1,896 pounds are all new 198 class World Records. George has spread his body weight from 242 pounds all the way to the high 300s. And they'd be American records. its not the fault of the ipf, but the stuff up of the meet directors!!! The best in the sport can, with perfect form, hoist more than a few times their bodyweight in iron. Most guys at the USAPL meet, on the other hand, tend to not do steroids, he said. yea i was thinking about trying this because i want to compete eventually in single ply gear and natural. For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. His name was Mike Bridges. 5. and our And your team Power Elite with your lifters including Topsogov Studer. It went all the way down except for about half an inch. When powerlifting, you train with three exercises in mind: Bench press, squats, and deadlifts. Powerlifting legend Mike Bridges deadlifts ~617 lb | barbell We can still make new gains and new PR's well into our master careers but we have to listen to what our bodies are telling us more. 1981Mens Senior Nationals We assumed that the manufacturer sent us the approved/correct bars. Mac Richards drove down and took Carol home. You've probably never heard of him, but he's one of the strongest men who's ever lived, and he was a powerlifting god in the early 1980s. I was never as happy as I was to see Mac walk in my room to take me home to Dayton, Ohio. It is not the training intensity per workout that changes as a lifter ages; it is our training frequency (recovery period allowed) that must be adapted. fed ex, several people with bars in ATTENDANCE who could have had fed ex deliver them, there's NO EXCUSE in this day and age. The bar used was the correct weight & configuration. Mike broke his prior world record by 87 lb.