Cork, Bandon and South Coast Railway
Waterfall train station was the first stop on the Cork, Bandon and South Coast Railway line.
The train line ran from Cork city to:
- Bantry in the west
- Baltimore in the south
- Kinsale in the east
Building began in 1851. By 1893, the railway line had grown from 20 miles to 94 miles.
The regular passenger service ended in 1947. Trains continued to run every Sunday from Albert Quay in Cork city for day excursions, until 1961.
The railway closed Good Friday, 31 March 1961. It had lasted 112 years.
30,000 people signed a petition to keep the line open but it was not successful.
Charles Nixon designed the Chetwynd Viaduct. He was a former pupil of Isambard Kingdom Brunel. Fox, Henderson and co. built the viaduct between 1849 and 1851. Fox, Henderson and co also built the Crystal Palace in London.
The viaduct carried trains on its single line over a valley and the main Bandon road (now the N71). The viaduct is 91 feet (28 m) high and is 500 feet (150 m) long.
It suffered damage in the Irish Civil War in 1922 but was later repaired. It was in use until 1961.
The Gogginshill Tunnel is near Ballinhassig. 300 men working day and night built the tunnel between February 1850 and December 1851.
It is the longest abandoned railway tunnel in Ireland at 906 yards (828 metres) long. The tunnel has 3 ventilation shafts.
Between 1889 and 1890 – after some minor collapses to the rock face – the railway company built some brick arches.
The viaduct is at Halfway, between Innishannon and Ballinhassig. It is 30m above the valley floor. It is a three arch viaduct built in 1847
The Kilpatrick (Innishannon) tunnel is 122 meters in length. It is less than 1km west of Inishannon, before the Bandon river crossing.
Though disused and unmaintained, it remains in good condition.